Friday, January 6, 2012

Crafts for the Kitchen

Two days ago maintenance came to the apartment and sprayed for bugs which meant I had to find something to do outside the house from 9am-5pm.  I did a lot of shopping at the craft stores and also at my new favorite store, World Market!  I had been wanting some glass jars for my kitchen to put olive oil, soap, and vinegar in and they were the only store I could find them at.  So here is what I did:

First I gathered all my supplies:  Two glass jars, glass etch cream, sponge, vinyl, my cricut, and the matt

Lay the vinyl on the sticky matt and load it into the cricut.  Type out the phrases you need (in the size you need) and then hit cut!
After you peal the vinyl off the matt, this is what you get!

Peal the backing off the vinyl and lay the sticky side onto the glass.  Make sure you smooth out all the bumps before moving on to the next step!

Put a thin layer of the etching cream onto the glass.  Make sure you only put it on the vinyl because if you get it anywhere else on the glass it will not come off!  Precision is KEY!  Let it dry for five minutes (you can add other coats if you want after the time has passed) then peal off the vinyl and wash the etching cream off of the glass.

And this is the end result!  It's a really bad picture but you can kind of see it.  I messed up the Olive Oil one (:-(  but it was my first try so I can't complain too much) but the vinegar one looks great!  The bottles are between $4.99 and $5.99 (depending on the style you want) at World Market!  
 I hope this inspired someone to go out and craft and do something fun for your house!  I'm so happy with mine and can't wait to try out some other things!!